Cachexia, sometimes known as wasting disease, is a condition that primarily affects people with severe medical issues. According to News Medical, up to 5 million Americans are afflicted with the illness. It’s a potentially deadly illness, but you may be shocked to learn how marijuana helps patients suffering from cachexia. If you’d like to buy the best Cannabis starin, use cannabis delivery to your home.
In this post, we’ll talk about what Wasting Syndrome is and how medical marijuana may help people with it.
What is Cachexia?
Cachexia, often referred to as wasting disease, is a condition that causes weakness, weight loss, and muscle and fat loss. It affects people with AIDS and advanced cancer as well as several other serious chronic progressive illnesses.
Cachectic individuals are those who aren’t attempting to lose weight. Cachexia also affects the elderly without a known cause. Anorexia and cachexia are often seen together.
It’s imperative to differentiate between cachexia and other conditions that cause weight loss to receive a timely diagnosis and to manage the condition effectively. Cachexia sets in during the latter stages of chronic illness. It is most commonly seen in patients with the following conditions:
- Celiac disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic kidney disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Mercury poisoning
- Congestive heart failure
- Severe sepsis
If you have cachexia, your body has incorrect levels of various chemicals. It’s because of this problem that your muscles waste away and you lose weight. Higher amounts of myostatin, glucocorticoids (hormones produced by your kidneys), and insulin-like growth factor l (IFG-l) are all factors that contribute to muscle wasting. You might also be deficient in testosterone.
Higher than average levels of cytokines (inflammatory substances that contribute to weight loss) prompt your weight loss. Having elevated amounts of cytokines in your blood is sometimes associated with one of the aforementioned long-term health conditions.
Symptoms Of Cachexia
You may not seem malnourished when you have cachexia. You won’t immediately look emaciated if you were overweight when you developed your chronic illness. On the other hand, cachexia may be quite apparent if you’re a slight individual.
Doctors use a variety of criteria to diagnose cachexia as the condition is often difficult to recognize. The following symptoms must be present to accurately determine that you have the condition:
- Having less than ten percent body fat.
- Unintentionally losing more than five percent of your total body weight.
- Having elevated levels of cytokines in your blood.
- Having a body mass index (BMI) of less than 22 if you’re older than 65 and less than 20 if you’re under that age.
- Having an albumin level of under 35 grams per liter. The protein albumin is made in the liver and supports the maintenance of your body’s fluid balance. When you develop abnormally low levels of the protein albumin, it can lead to swelling, particularly in in the ankles.
Effects Of Cachexia
You’re usually already suffering from an underlying chronic illness when you have cachexia. Both conditions come with a whole host of negative and uncomfortable symptoms. You may find your chronic condition symptoms worsen due to cachexia and vice versa. You’ll likely notice a diminished quality of life, and you may not respond well to treatments. You’ll also be susceptible to the effects of a reduced immunity level. It’s likely that you’ll feel constantly fatigued and might become depressed.
It’ll be difficult to carry out activities that you once found easy – even having a phone conversation might take all your strength. Your body has nowhere to store its nutrients as they’re kept in your muscle and fat, which are wasting away. Your body functioning is severely impacted, and you may become very sick as a result. Thankfully, there are treatments options, including medical marijuana, to help with your wasting syndrome symptoms.
Research Involving Marijuana & Wasting Syndrome / Cachexia
It seems as if the old stereotype of consuming cannabis and getting the ‘munchies’ has more than a little merit for people with wasting syndrome. A 2007 study at Columbia University involved giving marijuana orally to AIDs patients with cachexia. It significantly increased their appetite and led to weight gain.
A 2011 study discovered that consuming THC orally increased the appetite of cancer patients by an incredible 64%! Thus far, research suggests that the THC compound in marijuana is the most effective when it comes to stimulating appetite.
THC is one of the dozens of cannabinoids found in cannabis that react with the endocannabinoid system; a signaling system that is responsible for regulating food intake. THC is especially effective because it convinces the brain that it is hungry.
What Symptoms of Cachexia Can Marijuana Treat?
You’ve no doubt heard about the appetite-stimulating properties of weed. Marijuana is notorious for giving people “the munchies.” Not only this but pot treats nausea, vomiting, depression and general malaise you feel when you have cachexia. Let’s look at some of the best strains to use for alleviating your cachexia symptoms.
Best Strains Of Marijuana To Use For Cachexia
Pot remains illegal on a federal level in the U.S. However, many states have legalized its medical and recreational use. You must have a condition that’s on your own state’s list of qualifying medical pot conditions to qualify for medical cannabis for cachexia, and you’ll need to have a medical marijuana doctor’s recommendation too. You can then obtain a medical marijuana card.
Once you have approval, you may visit dispensaries and buy medical cannabis products for your needs. If recreational use is legal in your state, you won’t need a medical marijuana card. However, you might not have access to the same medical pot products that are available for people with qualifying health conditions.
There are many different strains of medical marijuana for cachexia available to buy from dispensaries. Each strain has its own unique effects. It’s recommended to have a chat with a knowledgeable budtender or your medical marijuana doctor to find out what’s best suited to you. In the meantime, take a look at this short list for more information.
Lack of appetite is arguably the main symptom you want to treat when you have cachexia. You might find that your nausea and vomiting improve when you’re eating well. Take a look at the following three strains that could help you.
- Sonoma Coma. Sonoma Coma is a rare sativa that originates from Sonoma County, California. When you take it, you feel energized and uplifted. You should feel pretty hungry too.
- Orange Skunk. Orange Skunk has many positive effects. It relieves anxiety and depression and stimulates your appetite. A hybrid strain, Orange Skunk boats some excellent pain-relieving abilities.
- Caramelo. Caramelo is a sativa-dominant hybrid. It provides you with relief from nausea and pain as well as making you feel hungry and uplifted. The strain is good for daytime use, and its effects can be short-lived.
Taking pot can help you eat, keep your food down and combat weight loss and muscle wasting. The following cannabis strains can help treat nausea and vomiting:
- Durban Poison. Don’t let the name put you off. Durban Poison is a sativa strain that gives you energy and reduces feelings of nausea. You may feel quite creative when you take this type of pot as it has powerful cerebral effects.
- Sour Diesel. Sour Diesel is known for smelling somewhere across between lemons and fuel. Although it has a noticeable odor, this popular sativa is akin to a morning coffee in its effect. You’ll feel motivated. You may find that your feelings of nausea rapidly disappear rapidly after you take this strain.
- Mango Kush. Mango Kush is known as a perfect strain for the first-time user. You immediately feel relaxed, happy and less nauseous when you take this type of pot. It’s a suitable option for daytime use as it works against social anxiety, making you feel calm and talkative.
Cannabis is useful for improving your mood. In fact, people have been using pot to self-medicate for many years. Understandably, your mood is less than upbeat when you’re ill. If your emotional well being turns into depression, you feel alone, down and might not have the get-up-and-go even to get up in the morning. Thankfully, the following strains may assist you in dealing with the blues:
- Blue Dream. Blue Dream is a sativa-dominant hybrid that’s probably one of the most widely known cannabis strains in the world. It’s safe for daytime use and makes you feel relaxed and happy. It’s also known for its creative vibe.
- Granddaddy Purple. An indica strain, Granddaddy Purple is popular among medical pot patients with depression. It’s best taken at night due to its body-heavy yet mentally stimulating effects.
- Chocolope. Chocolope is a sativa strain that rids you of aches, pains, tiredness and depression. You have a happy feeling when you take Chocolope. It’s best to begin with a small dose and work up as this strain can sometimes cause anxiety.
Chronic illness saps your energy. You probably feel sick and tired of always being sick and tired. Having little energy gets you down. You might have lost interest in activities you once enjoyed, and your social life could be suffering. These three sativa strains are helpful if a lack of energy is an issue for you:
- Jack’s Cleaner. Jack’s Cleaner makes you feel upbeat and focused. It makes it easier to get jobs done. You feel happier and more like yourself again.
- Super Silver Haze. Super Silver Haze is an energizing strain that makes you feel focused. Its effects can last an entire day. Therefore, this is the perfect strain for you if you have lots to achieve.
- OG Kush. OG Kush is a commonly found strain that can make you feel a little sleepy while being happy and well-balanced. You’ll get things done slowly and at your own pace when you take OG Kush.
Best Methods Of Marijuana Treatment To Use To Treat Cachexia Symptoms
Now have an idea of some of the most effective strains of medical pot for cachexia, let’s look at how best to take it. Your health is already suffering. Therefore, you probably won’t want to smoke cannabis. So, what are the alternatives?
- Vaping. Vaping provides almost fast relief although vaping units can be expensive.
- Sprays. Cannabis sprays come in a variety of flavors and are easy to carry along with you. Also, sprays are easy to take if you have difficulty with solid foods.
- Tinctures. You can place these alcohol-based extracts into your drinks and food.
- Juices. You can blend raw, fresh cannabis leaves with some vegetable or fruit juice. Juicing is a perfect option if you don’t have much of an appetite.
- Edibles. You can buy or make your own edibles. These are discrete to eat no matter where you are. You can also buy pot-infused lollipops and lozenges if you have difficulties eating.
The above methods eliminate the need to smoke pot and enable you to try different methods of ingestion until you find the one that best suits you.
Cachexia is a complex condition that requires further research. Although the disorder is unlikely to be adequately treated with cannabis alone, the substance goes a long way to help alleviate your symptoms. Marijuana and its extracts have cemented their place as medications that have significant benefits if you have cachexia. Cannabis for cachexia can help you increase your appetite – and therefore your body weight – leading to an improved quality of life.
If you or someone close to you is searching for a way to gently and naturally relieve your symptoms, search for a medical marijuana doctor or dispensary today to find out more about marijuana and cachexia.
Final Thoughts About Marijuana and Cachexia
It is heartbreaking to watch someone you love suffer from wasting syndrome so imagine what it must be like to be on the receiving end. There is some hope on the horizon in the form of marijuana which can spike your appetite and hopefully help you remain at a stable weight. If you do suffer from wasting syndrome and decide to use medical marijuana as a treatment, please be sure to consult with your doctor before doing so.