Making cannabis hard candy is an easy thing to do at home. You only need a couple tools, basic ingredients and some patience. The advantage of infusing THC or CBD into hard candies is that you can dose your edibles very easily. It might also help if you are looking to take weed edibles discreetly.
The basic ingredients for making cannabis hard candies
The only ingredients you require to start making cannabis hard candies are sugar, water, corn syrup and cannabis tincture.
The first thing you will need to decide on, is if you want to make THC hard candy or CBD hard candy. Simply use a THC tincture If you are looking for THC edibles or a CBD tincture for CBD edibles. You can also use both, it is all up to you!
You will be able to put in any flavor extract or coloring you want to customize your cannabis edibles. In turn, this is where you can experiment and get creative with your weed edibles.
Start to cook cannabis hard candy
Follow this recipe and use creativity to start experimenting with new flavors, colors, and shapes. Once you have a good grasp on how to make hard candies, you can start experimenting even further with different colors and shapes. Remember that cannabis candy is cooked at a very high temperature and it sticks, so never touch the hard candy with your hands.
If you like more cannabis recipes. Checkout our cannabis cookbook, full of extraction methods and amazing canna recipes.
How to make cannabis hard candy with ingredients you already have at home
- Candy thermometer
- Cannabis tincture (CBD or THC)
- Corn Syrup
- Powdered Jello
- Candy Molds or Lollipop Sticks
These days, it seems like everyone loves edibles! And what used to be THC brownies or These are popular among just about every demographic. While everyone has their favorite edible, there is something to be said for convenience and ease of these sweet treats. Even more, you can add THC or CBD from mind-bending recreational treats with over a hundred milligrams of THC to tiny microdoses of 2.5 milligrams of CBD found in cannabis hard candy.
Patients, in particular, love edibles because they are simple to dose, easy to make, and avoid some of the lingering (if unwarranted) stigma associated with smoking. For patients new to the medical cannabis experience, they also represent a delicious introduction. When dosed right (low and slow), edibles ease patients into the therapeutic benefits carefully and gently.
The Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis Hard Candies
Cannabis hard candies, whether purchased from a dispensary or made at home, generally have a few properties in common: small dose, fast absorption, and discretion.
The goal of medical cannabis is to settle on a dose that delivers the most therapeutic benefit with the least adverse effects. Unlike a hard-hitting hundred milligram dose of THC, which may be useful for chronic issues before bed, small cannabis hard candies are excellent for daily maintenance doses.
Throughout the day, cannabis-infused candies help maintain a long-duration of benefits without having to take a large single dose. After taking their initial treatment in the morning, patients may feel the effects wear off after three or four hours. By consuming a small cannabis hard candy at intervals throughout the day, it’s possible to keep the therapeutic benefits going for longer.
Furthermore, the cannabinoids contained in hard candies absorb quickly — likely much faster then what patients might expect from an edible. So long as it’s sucked on (and not chewed and swallowed), the therapeutic value is absorbed sublingually and avoids the delays of the digestive tract.
For patients with zero experience with cannabis, especially with the intoxicating cannabinoid THC, it’s best to start experimenting with cannabis hard candies at the lowest dose possible. What does a low dose mean? Most would suggest under five milligrams. For those patients familiar with the effects of THC, a ten-milligram dose will likely be quite manageable.
How to Make Cannabis Hard Candy – Recipe
The following is a simple recipe to make cannabis hard candy at home. Hard candies are an easy way to administer a dose of medical cannabis without smoking or vaping. Like all edibles, cannabis hard candy is a very discreet way to ingest cannabis, with no smell, vape cloud, or paraphernalia needed to consume. Keep a little container in your purse, pocket, or desk drawer and dose on the go.
Whether it is for others or yourself, be mindful of the dosage in the candy.
- 1-2 tablespoons of cannabis tincture
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 box (3 oz) Jello of any flavor you like
- Candy thermometer
- Small heavy saucepan
- 20 lollipop sticks (or candy molds)
If you do not have mold, its ok there is a work around. Simply create a layer of icing sugar by spreading it on a pan. Create dents in the icing sugar the size that you would want to make the candy into, and you have your candy mold.
- Candy making is time-sensitive, gather all your equipment and ingredients before starting. If you need to make a powdered sugar mold, do so in advance.
- If you are making lollipops or using a proper candy mold, grease them before you start with coconut oil. This step does not apply to the powdered sugar mold.
- Over low heat, mix sugar and corn syrup in the saucepan. Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil. Watch the mixture at all times. Stir frequently, and be extremely careful. Hot melted sugar can cause serious burns.
- Place the candy thermometer in the pot and let the mixture boil until it reaches 300°F to 310°F degrees. Keep stirring frequently.
- When it reaches 300°F to 310°F degrees, remove the thermometer. Pour in the jello and cannabis tincture and rapidly stir until combined. This is the heat range for hard crack.
- Remove from the heat. Using a metal spoon, pour the mixture into the candy molds. You have to move fast during this stage as it sets extremely quickly. Also, remember hot sugar burns. Be very careful.
- Allow the candy to cool at room temperature. Do not place the candy in the refrigerator or freezer. As the candy cools, it will harden.
- Once the hard candy or lollipops have cooled, you can lightly coat them in icing sugar. This will prevent them from sticking to each other when packaged.
- Store in a glass or metal container, in a cool dry place.
How to Dose with Cannabis Hard Candy
Unlike the Jolly Ranchers stashed at the mechanics or the bowl of peppermints at the doctor’s office, don’t overindulge on these cannabis hard candies. The first dose of every batch should represent a taste test but also a dose test.
While it’s unlikely that cannabis-infused hard candies will knock you off your feet, there is always a chance. Maybe you made the candies larger than usual, or maybe it wasn’t evenly mixed. Try one hard candy, wait for the peak of effects at two hours, then reach for more if needed. The golden rule of medical cannabis is start low and go slow, and the same rule applies to cannabis hard candy.
1 thought on “Shatter candy recipe”
I’m curious how potent are they? I’m thinking i may start making hard candies and I’m wondering how strong you can make them with meh, waxy, bho. Any tips?