Marijuana Beef Jerky is my new favorite edible! It’s portable and needs no refrigeration. It’s the perfect medicated on-the-go snack. Campers and backpackers should especially take note, but I like to keep it around for everyday snacking too. Marijuana beef jerky also makes a thoughtful homemade gift for the edibles fans in your life.
The flavor is outstanding with barely any discernible flavor of cannabis, and you can alter the marinades to suit your personal tastes.
How do we infuse beef jerky, you ask?
It is simple. We use cannabis infused honey to flavor this tasty weed treat. Firstly, this recipes requires you to decarboxylate your weed. This is to activate your cannabis bud. Break up 1/4 of an ounce of bud over a tin foil lined cooking sheet. Cover the bud and sheet with tin foil making a tent. Place in the oven at 115c/225f for 20-40 minutes. When your weed turns golden, brown it is ready to go.
After this weed cools, wrap it in cheesecloth and place in a large, strong mason jar. Add 1 1/8 cups of honey to this mason jar. Seal and put this jar in a large pot of cool water. Bring this water to a boil for 3-4 hours.
This is your cannabis infused honey!
How long will cannabis infused beef jerky last?
Excitingly, your cannabis jerky can last up to two weeks! Store your beef jerky in a sealed, air tight container. It is best kept in a cool place out of heat or sunlight. Never leave your jerky out in the open, unless you intend on consuming it right away. This will ensure food safety and so that the wrong person doesn’t get their hands on it. We highly recommend clearly labelling any weed edibles.
How long does it take to make cannabis infused beef jerky?
This recipe will take approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes to make. This is, of course, if your cannabis infused honey is ready. Otherwise, you will need to account for the creation of this infusion.
The cooking process of this cannabis infused beef jerky is not difficult. The recipe calls for time to cool and time to marinate. In turn, this is more of a lengthy recipe. The final cannabis product is well worth the wait as it has a long shelf life and is super tasty!
What’s Involved in Making Marijuana Beef Jerky
Before we go into detail, here’s what’s involved in making great marijuana beef jerky at home. While the process is not difficult, it does take substantial time for the various steps such as making a tincture, and marinating and drying the meat, so plan well in advance.
- Make an alcohol based cannabis tincture – plan in advance as this needs time to infuse.
- Slice (or have your butcher slice) the meat thinly.
- Make a marinade using the alcohol tincture and marinate the meat in it for 12-24 hours.
- Use a food dehydrator or oven to slowly dry the meat at a low temperature.
What Kind of Meat is Best for Making Marijuana Beef Jerky?
When making jerky it is important to buy the leanest cuts of beef possible, as visible fat is not your friend. Fat can go rancid and ruin your jerky.
My favorite cuts are round roasts, either the eye of round or top round, as they are inexpensive and most of the fat is on the outside edge, which is easily cut off. Sirloin tip, London broil, or flank steak also work, but are a bit pricier.
As a rough estimate, plan on losing about 2/3 of the meat’s weight after drying, so buy accordingly.
Ask your butcher to trim off all visible fat and slice the meat into slices 1/4-inch thick. You can also slice the meat yourself with a sharp knife. In order to make the slices as even as possible, it helps to slice the meat while partially frozen.
Slice meat across the grain for more tender jerky (if there is such a thing) or slice with the grain for tougher, chewier jerky. Choose according to your personal preference (the jerky in these photos was cut against the grain).
Weed Jerky Recipe
- 2 lbs. thinly sliced beef steak, ¼ inch cuts
- 10-12g dried cannabis flower
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Decarboxylate your cannabis by mixing it with olive oil in a small bowl suitable for oven use. Cover the bowl with foil and place it in the oven for 2 straight hours.
- Once done, preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Use aluminum foil to line the baking sheet. Put a wire rack over the foil so that you have a drip pan with ventilation between the foil and the rack.
- In a bowl, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce with the paprika, brown sugar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, black peppe, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add in the cannabis infused olive oil.
- Gently add the beef to the bowl one piece at a time so that each piece is thoroughly coated. Wrap the bowl in plastic, then marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Once done, transfer the beef slices and arrange them in a single layer on the wire rack. Try to leave as much marinade as you can on the meat, which may make it take longer to dry but will give you more potent weed jerky.
- Dry the beef jerky in the preheated oven until it has a leathery consistency, which takes around 4 hours.
- Let it cool, then use scissors to cut them up into strips or bite-sized pieces. The weed jerky will store well for a few weeks if you keep it in an airtight container.