Cannabis milk is one of the easiest and beginner-friendly infusions out there. It is ridiculously simple to make and you will only need two ingredients: cannabis and milk. And if you don’t want to just drink the delicious infused milk, you can use it with any recipe that you would normally use milk in. Personally, I keep a jug of infused milk in the fridge at all times and use it instead of normal milk. A bit of canna-milk in my morning coffee really gives it a nice flavour and is a great way to start the day. The possibilities for using the marijuana-milk are endless!
The whole cannabis plant, seeds included, has a significant nutritional value. The following amount of nutrients is present in a single cup of cannabis milk:
- 900 mg omega-3 fatty acids
- 2800 mg omega-6 fatty acids
- all 10 essential amino acids
- 4 g easily digestible protein
- 46 % of the recommended daily intake of calcium
- 0 % of cholesterol
- vitamin A
- vitamin E
- vitamin B12
- folic acid
- vitamin D
This extensive list shows us that cannabis milk is rich in protein and it is also a significant source of the rare gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). This beverage also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, folic acid and vitamins A, E and B12. It is a source of a great amount of magnesium, potassium and iron, which are the basic components of healthy diet and which ensure the proper functioning of the immune system.
Here are a few easy recipes that you can use your cannabis infused milk in:
- cannabis infused hot chocolate
- weed milkshakes
- cannabis infused sauces and soups
- creamy cannabis infused scrambled eggs
- delicious weed ice cream
What type of milk should i use?
The best type of milk to use is full fat milk. Cannabinoids require fat to properly infuse into and if you use a low fat or fat free milk, you will most likely notice a weaker end product. Coconut milk and other non-dairy milks also work great with this recipe. I would also recommend adding a small amount of lecithin powder (optional) to aid absorption and potency, especially if you are using a low fat milk.
How much weed should i use?
This entirely depends on your personal preference, tolerance, and quality of the herb you are using. We recommend 1-3.5 grams of cannabis buds per 500ml of milk however you can add more or less depending on your preference and tolerance. The flavours and aroma of your herb will also infuse into the milk so use a strain that you think would work well. Fruity strains work great! You can use leaf and trim instead of buds however you will get a superior flavour and potency if you use buds.
The medicinal effects of the strain you use will also transfer into your canna-milk. Using a sativa strain will give your canna-milk an energetic, creativity boosting effect while an indica strain will give your milk a stoney couch-lock effect. For the best of both worlds, use a hybrid strain.
Beneficial Effects of Cannabis Milk:
- boosts the immune system
- improves skin quality, strengthens hair and nails
- supports cardiac health
- increases brain activity
- contains anti-inflammatory substances and improves blood circulation
An Easy and Fast Recipe to Make Weed Milk at Home
Even though it is possible to buy cannabis milk in some health-food stores, it is quite expensive – so if you are confident enough in the kitchen, you can try to make it on your own.
For making your own cannabis milk you need: half a cup of shelled raw cannabis seeds and about half a liter of drinking water. You should also prepare a piece of cloth for final filtration.
Blend the seeds with water for approximately three minutes. When you have a fine mixture filter it through the cloth – and your milk is ready for serving. To achieve the best taste serve chilled. You can keep this beverage in a fridge for up to three days.
If you are looking for a vegetable alternative to milk and you have already had enough of rice, almond, oat and coconut milk, you should definitely try this cannabis milk out. It is full of nutrients and its taste is delicious.
Also, keep in mind that even if you do not become a fan of this milk, you can still reach directly for the seeds – they are considered to be a superfood, and everyone aiming at a healthy diet should consider including them in their menu.
- 7 Grams Cannabis Buds (or leaves/trim)
- 1 Litre Milk (full fat preferably)
- Decarboxylate your cannabis to maximize the potency of this recipe. Preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C). Coarsely grind your cannabis and spread it into an even layer on a baking tray or dish. Cover with foil then put into the preheated oven for 25-40 minutes. Take out of oven and allow to cool down.
- Pour your milk into a pot and bring it to a boil then let simmer. Use a low heat or double boiler to ensure your milk does not burn.
- Add your decarboxylated cannabis to the simmering milk and stir continuously until it is all fully submerged in the milk.
- Let the canna-milk simmer for 45-60 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Stir the mixture every 10-15 minutes. Your milk will turn a slightly off-white, greenish-yellow colour depending on the age, strain, dryness, and quality of the cannabis you used.
- Take the canna-milk mixture off the heat and prepare your straining device (sieve, cheese cloth, coffee filter) as well as a bottle or container to pour the strained weed milk into.
- Pour the milk through your straining device to separate and remove the cannabis debris from the milk. Try to squeeze out every last drop of special milk from the herbs left in the strainer or filter so none of it goes to waste.
- Allow the strained milk to cool before drinking or storing in the fridge. Drink it either cold or warm, or use it as an ingredient in an infused recipe.
*Adding a teaspoon of lecithin to the milk can increase the potency of your canna-milk by helping the THC bind to the fats and increasing the bio-availability.
*Different types of milk can be used instead of full fat milk however the higher the fat content the better as that is what the THC binds to. If you are using a low fat milk we recommend adding lecithin help increase absorption. Coconut milk works great with this recipe and is absolutely delicious!
*Wondering how to make CBD infused milk? Simply switch the cannabis in this recipe with CBD hemp flower buds or CBD hash. I recommend decarboxylating CBD hemp flower at a slightly higher temperature of 125c compared to the 115c recommended in this recipe.