Making cannabis hard candy is an easy thing to do at home. You only need a couple tools, basic ingredients and some patience. The advantage of infusing THC or CBD into hard candies is that you can dose your edibles very easily. It might also help if you are looking to take weed edibles discreetly.
Many inexperienced (and even a lot of seasoned users) had a negative experience with edibles at some point in their lives.
This also happened to me the first time I tried them, and I can honestly tell you that it’s not a pleasant experience.
Once you learn how to properly dose edibles (which I’m going to help you with, of course), you’ll be able to enjoy cannabis in this very healthy way, without accidentally ingesting too much THC.
So what’s the issue with edibles? The thing is, they create a different, more powerful type of high, to say the least.
The main difference between smoking/vaping and edibles is that THC is metabolized in a different way when we take edibles.
When you ingest pot in the form of an edible, first the saliva starts to break down the THC. Once the edible enters the stomach and then the liver, it gets converted to 11-hydroxy-THC, which is a more potent version of the THC molecule.
Because of the digestion process, it takes between 45-90 minutes for the effects to kick in.
This time window is when many impatient users begin thinking that the edible just wasn’t potent enough, so they take more, and that’s when the problem occurs.
Hasty individuals are left with a belly full of THC, and it hits them all at once.
The high from an edible lasts longer than with other consumption methods.
It can take hours before the effects start to wear off, and during that time you’re probably going to think that you’re dying, because of the sheer intensity of the high.
If this happens to you by any chance, just remember that there’s nothing to worry about—this sensation is only temporary.
On the other hand, when you smoke weed, THC enters your bloodstream through the alveoli in the lungs.
THC doesn’t break down very well in our blood.
Instead, it quickly binds to cannabinoid receptors, not having a lot of time to be metabolized compared to the digestion process in the gastrointestinal tract.
That’s why we instantly feel the effects after smoking a joint, but the high lasts much shorter than with edibles.
Because of this frequent accidental “overdose”, some states where cannabis is legal require official producers to include smaller quantities of THC in their edibles.
However, THC is not the only cannabis compound that you can infuse your edibles with. Many medical patients are using the non-psychoactive cannabinoid CBD as the main ingredient in their edibles.
Weed Candy Dosage Chart
Most of us who had a bad experience with edibles did only one thing wrong—we didn’t get the dose right.
Each individual’s anatomy is different, but the basic recommendation is to always start with a low dose and to remain patient.
Perrywinkles edibles made this chart to help us determine the optimal THC dose for weed candy recipes.
The basic ingredients for making cannabis hard candies
The only ingredients you require to start making cannabis hard candies are sugar, water, corn syrup and cannabis tincture.
The first thing you will need to decide on, is if you want to make THC hard candy or CBD hard candy. Simply use a THC tincture If you are looking for THC edibles or a CBD tincture for CBD edibles. You can also use both, it is all up to you!
You will be able to put in any flavor extract or coloring you want to customize your cannabis edibles. In turn, this is where you can experiment and get creative with your weed edibles.
Start to cook cannabis hard candy
Follow this recipe and use creativity to start experimenting with new flavors, colors, and shapes. Once you have a good grasp on how to make hard candies, you can start experimenting even further with different colors and shapes. Remember that cannabis candy is cooked at a very high temperature and it sticks, so never touch the hard candy with your hands.
If you like more cannabis recipes. Checkout our cannabis cookbook, full of extraction methods and amazing canna recipes.
- candy molds or baking tray
- candy thermometer
- 2 – 3 Tbsp cannabis tincture 500mg THC
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2/3 Cup corn syrup
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tsp Flavored extract optional
- Food coloring optional
- In a medium sauce pan mix together the sugar, syrup and water.
- Let it come to a boil and slowly stir mixture untill around 250F.
- Once it reaches 250F, you need to stop stirring and let it come to approximately 305F. ( this happends quick)
- Once your hard candy mixture is at around 305F, remove it from the heat.
- Add cannabis tincture, flavor extract and food coloring. Stir it up and poor into your candy mold or baking sheet.
- Let the cannabis candies cool down and harden before removing it from the mold.
- Enjoy your canna candies!
How to Make THC Gummies
Weed gummies are even easier to make than lollipops.
For this recipe you’ll need just 4 or 5 ingredients and an ice cube tray which you can use as a mold.
- 1 cup (235 ml) of fresh fruit juice, or fruit puree (flavor of your choice)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of cold water
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar powder (this is a vegan option, instead of gelatine)
- 1 cannabis tincture tablespoon
- Sweetener, or a pinch of sugar
- Silicone gummy molds (or ice cube trays)
THC Gummies Recipe
- If you’re going to use fruit puree, stir it a bit to improve its consistency before you get started.
- Afterwards, pour the puree/juice in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat, and leave it to boil. In the meantime, add a teaspoon of agar-agar and stir it with water (this is done in a separate dish).
- Carefully pour the water and agar-agar in the boiled fruit juice (or fruit puree), stir the mixture for 3 minutes and add some sweetener/sugar if you want.
- Remove the pot/pan from the heat, and let it cool down a bit before you add the cannabis tincture.
- When you pour the mixture into the molds/ice cube tray, let it cool down for 20 minutes at room temperature, before you leave it in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the gummies from the molds and sprinkle them with powdered sugar so they don’t stick together.