Whether you’ve just arrived in Amsterdam for a cannabis-themed excursion or simply want to combine your passion for baking and getting baked, this guide will give you all the goods when it comes to space cakes.
Technically speaking, space cakes are single-serving baked goods infused with weed or hash. In Amsterdam, specifically, the term “space” is commonly used as a synonym for “infused with THC.” Thus visitors to the city’s famous coffeeshops will find not only space cakes but space smoothies, muffins, and more.
Chocolate Zucchini Space Cake
Chocolate zucchini space cake is out-of-this-world delicious. It is full of chocolate gooey goodness and has a moist, velvety texture.
The Infusion – Cannabutter
You can use cannabutter or cannamargarine for cannabis chocolate zucchini cake. You could also infuse milk or oil if it is more convenient for you. Once infused with fat, the cannabinoids distribute evenly throughout the batter. Therefore, well mixed batter allows for consistent dosing. Visit edibles tools for information about decarbing, infusing and dosing before making edibles.
Zucchini makes the cannabis chocolate zucchini cake incredibly moist. When choosing a zucchini, you can use any size. Cut the zucchini into manageable size pieces and remove the soft inner core with the seeds. Be especially careful to not remove the peel. At this point, you can grate the zucchini. If you want to save time, you can use a blender or food processor. Also, you can thaw frozen zucchini and use it instead of using fresh zucchini.
Make Cake Batter
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together cannabutter and sugar. Add vegetable oil, milk/cannamilk, eggs and vanilla. Beat until well mixed being careful not to over mix. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Mix in the zucchini. Cake batter is ready for the pan.
Pour the chocolate zucchini cake batter into greased or parchment lined 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over batter. Place on middle rack of oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Place on cooling rack until cake is cooled. Divide into 12 equal sized pieces.
Cannabis and Chocolate
Everything tastes better with chocolate, especially cannabis. Even better is the fact that cannabis chocolate zucchini cake has double the chocolate. Both cocoa and chocolate chips are used for a moist, sweet, chocolate delight.
Make It Last
Cannabis chocolate zucchini cake freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for four to six months. Half of a cake fits nicely in a large freezer bag. On the other hand, you could freeze your cake in individual portions to make life easier. You can cover the cake and store it for up to a week in the fridge.
What Flour is Best For Chocolate Zucchini Space Cake?
Do I need to use cake and pastry flour for cannabis chocolate zucchini cake? No, you can use all purpose flour. Although cake and pastry flour is lighter than all-purpose flour, you can use either one safely. Usually, recipes use all-purpose flour unless specified otherwise.
Store Edibles Safely
Always store cannabis infused chocolate zucchini cake and other edibles away from children and pets. Mark edibles that you make with THC warning labels also. Download the THC symbol on the Edibles Tools page.
- 1/2 cup cannabutter or cannamargarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil regular or cannabis infused
- 1/2 cup milk regular, sour, cannamilk or buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together cannabutter and sugar.
- Add vegetable oil, milk, eggs and vanilla
- Mix together until well incorporated being careful not to over mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda cinnamon and cloves and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix well being careful not to overmix the batter. It will be quite stiff at this point.
- Mix grated zucchini into the batter until incorporated.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking pan. You may line the pan with parchment for easier removal of the cake.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured or parchment lined 9″ x 13″ cake pan. Smooth out the batter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350° F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Place on cooling rack until cake is thoroughly cooled. Cut into 12 equal sized portions.
Instead of using cinnamon and cloves, you could use peppermint extract for a cool, minty flavour.
You can use regular milk, buttermilk, cannamilk or sour milk for cannabis chocolate zucchini space cake. To make sour milk, add 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup of milk. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes to obtain the desired acidity.
What Should I Know Before Eating a Space Cake?
The term “space cake” doesn’t correspond to a specific dosage or potency, so past positive experiences should never be used as a guiding metric for future consumption. In other words: just because you had an enjoyable, mellow time when you last dined on space cake, that doesn’t mean the same thing will happen the time you have some.
For this reason, many folks prefer to make their baked goods at home to ensure consistency. While labeling — when accurate — can tell us the amount of THC and CBD in a given space cake, it can not guarantee the even distribution of cannabinoids, nor the quality of the strain utilized. States like California now have laws that require testing to ensure each bite of an edible has an equal amount of THC, but nothing beats your own two hands when it comes to having full knowledge over your edibles.
In terms of the actual experience, the majority of the cannabis one ingests as an edible is converted from Delta-9-THC to 11-hydroxy-THC. The latter is notably potent, which partially explains why many equate the high from edibles as being stronger than the one achieved by smoking or vaporization. This process also explains why edible highs often take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to take hold, as well as why they last for far longer than smoking highs.
With this information in mind, space cakes should ideally be consumed in small doses and at times when consumers have no upcoming plans for a number of hours.
How Do I Make a Space Cake?
There are numerous recipes for space cake, both online and published in cookbooks. As the past several years have shown us, cannabis edibles are no longer rudimentary or lacking in flavor. Instead, a flair for culinary showmanship has taken the market by storm, leading to an endless array of new high-end foodstuffs geared towards getting you high.
With this caveat in mind, take the below basic instructions for making space cakes and feel free to customize the recipe to your delight! Add in fruit, spices, cocoa powder or your favorite confection to make your space cakes a one-of-a-kind treat.
- Flour (1 Cup)
- Milk (1 Cup)
- Eggs (2)
- Sugar (¾ Cup)
- Butter (¾ Cup)
- Cake Pan (8 x 8)
- If you’re using hash, head to step two. For flower, however, the first thing you’ll need to do is decarboxylate your cannabis. This activates the cannabinoids we’re looking to infuse into our edibles!
- One your cannabis is decarboxylated, melt your butter in a microwave (30 seconds is plenty) and then mix it with your weed/hash.
- Mix all of your ingredients, including your infused butter, together. This is the part where you determine how consistently your butter (and thus, your THC) will be spread throughout your space cakes so be sure to to mix it as well as possible!
- Transfer your batter to a greased 8 x 8 cake pan and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Let sit until cool and enjoy! Remember, the more carefully you measure the space cake when you slice it into servings, the better you’ll be able to approximate the amount of cannabis in each one.
- -100 gr sugar
- -100gr flour
- -2 eggs
- -90gr marijuana butter*
- -1 teaspoon yeast
The amount of marijuana butter can vary depending on how powerful we want the cake and how powerful the butter is.
Cooking Space Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- We sift the flour with the yeast using the strainer to prevent lumps.
- Beat the cannabis butter with the sugar until it is completely integrated. To make it easier, we can heat the butter a little or leave it at room temperature for a while.
- Add the eggs one by one until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Incorporate the flour with the yeast and continue beating until they are integrated.
- Pour the mixture over the baking tray, previously spread with butter (traditional).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the tray has cooled down, remove the mold.
And now we have our delicious cannabic biscuit ready! If we want it to add a sweet touch, we just need to add some chocolate powder to the mixture or scratch a little pastries chocolate.
In addition, we can use it as a basis for preparing another kind of cakes. It is a rich and easy to prepare recipe with a cannabic touch that makes it something special.
Beware of quantities
As we always warned in the cannabic recipes, it is important to know that the effect of marijuana when is ingested is more potent and lasts longer than when is smoked. The effect takes about an hour since the cake has been consumed, so it can be difficult to calculate the right dose.
To avoid problems is advisable to eat a little by little and if it is not enough we can always eat a little more. Both the cook and the guests must be careful and know what they are going to consume.