With more use permitted by law starting to accept “green businesses” in their borders, it’s not surprising that the United States is seeing a major uptick in cannabis products.
The amount of things that are cannabis-related and available for purchase is shocking. We are seeing more special tnings storming the market, cool new edible brands hitting store shelves Cannabis-infused drinks are now gaining steam. They allow rapid absorption into your body, taste good, and are great cannabis alternatives for people who can’t smoke. They cost a pretty penny to buy, but if you make them yourself, it’s not that bad.
Curious on how you can DIY it? We’re here to help. This guide will show you how to save cash and get the high you want, with homemade cannabis drinks.
Cannabis-infused milk is great for coffee, tea, milkshakes, and any milk-related goodie you want to make. You will need around 1 gram of raw bud per quart of milk for this technique. Here’s how to do it.
- Bring a very large pot of water to a boil. It should be a rolling boil.
- Place a steel bowl inside the pot with boiling water in it. This creates a double boiler. Once you have the bowl in the boiling water, pour the milk and cannabis in the bowl.
- Make sure the milk boils. Keep an eye on it. It’ll take around 15 minutes or so.
- Lower the temperature, and leave the milk mixture to simmer for two to three hours. Stir the mixture up occasionally so that curdling is prevented.
- Drop the temperature, and strain the liquid using a cheesecloth.
Cannabis-infused coconut oil
Try a cannabis concoction that skips the milk and opts for oil. A cannabis-infused coconut oil can add some nutty flavor, not to mention offers all the alongside the high of marijuana. Follow this simple recipe to start, then get creative!This oil can be added to a number of different drinks to make them a little (or a lot) dank. Additionally, because coconut oil becomes solid at room temperature, this handy additive can be thrown into other edible recipes that aren’t liquids.
You will need:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup ground weed
After grinding the cannabis loosely (not into a powder!), use a double-boiling method. Put the oil and cannabis into a steel bowl over a pot of low-simmering water. Stick around the stove, you’ll be sporadically stirring the mixture for around at least 6 hours (8 hours, if you’re die-hard). If pressed for time or the idea of standing stove-side all day doesn’t sound appealing, consider the slow-cooker method. To try, simply add the oil and ground herb to a slow cooker. Set the temperature to low, and stir only very occasionally.As with the cannabis-infused milk, it is important that the mixture not overheat or it will scorch and potentially ruin your oil. Keep in mind for all the best cannabis-infused drinks and how to make them demands the cook always watch their infusions carefully so they do not burn.
Cannabis simple syrup
Sometimes all a drink needs is the addition of a little something sweet to really tickle the taste buds. Imagine that the sugary sweetener added to your favorite drink contained the medicating and calming power of cannabis.
The best cannabis-infused drinks and how to make them could be a major success with the introduction of this sweetness. Make your own and bottle it, and this spoonful of sugar will also be medicine going down.
You will need:
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 3 cups of fine granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin (locate this at a health food store)
- 2 grams of finely chopped or ground cannabis
Start with combining water and sugar into a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar fully dissolves into the water. Add the weed to the boiling mixture and cover the metal pot for 20 minutes.
Super green smoothie
You will need:
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- a banana
- 1 tablespoon protein powder
- 1 cup water or almond milk (or for a really strong beverage– use the above recipe for canna-milk)
- cannabis-infused simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon canna-coconut oil (see our handy above recipe)
Blend all ingredients in a blender. The results should be thick and delicious when guzzled through a straw.
Other recipes you can make are a mix (try replacing the cannabis tincture with the cannabis-infused simple syrup!)
Combining two vices seems like it warrants confession or at the very least guilt at gluttony. But there’s no need to feel bad about drinking cannabis-infused alcohol. The duo together may be just the ticket for letting loose and keeping it classy.But before we send you off to play with fire, a few words to the wise. Alcohol is seriously flammable.
Because of this, avoid using a gas burner to do this infusion.In fact, keep the project away from any open flame (including the J you rolled for this cooking process). Keep calm, safe and work in a well-ventilated area.
You will need:
- one 1/8-ounce bag of high-grade weed for one 750-milliliter bottle of booze (choose whatever is your favorite liquor)
- Begin by decarbing the weed. This process helps to bind the THC molecules to the alcohol. You can use the microwave or the oven (at a low 240 degrees for about an hour), but the microwave is just as efficient and in less time.
2. Put full buds into a microwave-safe bowl or container. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for a minute and a half.
3. Flip the buds to the other side, then repeat the cooking process two more times, flipping each time and entering the time of a minute and a half.
4. Finally grind down the weed loosely, but not into a powder.
Now, it’s really cooking time. Fill the bottom half of a large pot halfway with water. Using an electric stove or hot plate bring it to boil, at 212ºF. Then, turn the heat to low.Dump the booze and the ganja into another smaller pot or the top of the double-boiler with the water in it. Stir and then cover the mixture.Be careful to watch the stove and ensure that the weed and alcohol alchemy you’re working on doesn’t exceed 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
This winter spiced mulled cider has been enhanced with “muggles,” which is an old jazz term for marijuana.
- 6 cups of apple cider
- 1/4 cup orange juice (or pomegranate)
- Peel from one orange, with no pith, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 oz of cannabis tincture (alcohol or glycerin is fine; I used a glycerin tincture with 150 mg of THC and 60 mg of CBD)
- 1 cup of bourbon or brandy, optional
Add the cider, juice, spices, sugar and peel to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Strain the cider to remove the whole spices. Add the tincture and/or the booze. (Or not.) Divide into four mugs and sip contently around a fire. Alternatively, you could just as easily divide the cider, and then dose it with tincture or booze depending on individual preference. Cheers!
If using a tincture with 150 milligrams of THC and 60 mg of CBD, each serving would contain 37.5 mg of THC and 15 mg of CBD.
Pot buttered rum
A slight cannabis twist on a favorite wintry weather drink, this hot pot buttered rum is perfect for coming inside and warming up after a day snowboarding or shoveling the driveway.
Be sure to know the potency of your cannabutter to determine your desired dose. I used cannabutter containing 9.58 mg of THC per gram, so I was able to calculate that there’s 135.8 milligrams of THC in one tablespoon. Divided among four servings, that’s a dose of about 34 mg per person. Based on the strength of your cannabutter, you can use more or less.
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cannabutter (135 mg of THC)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dark rum (optional)
Bring water, butters, sugar, spices and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rum, if using. Serve hot, and accompany with a fat joint.
The dude abides
Named for the iconic pothead in the cult classic The Big Lebowski, the Dude loves bowling, smoking herb and drinking a combo of Kahlua, milk and vodka. We warmed up the Dude’s classic White Russian with the addition of some caffeine and cannabis cream for a high-octane hippie speedball. Perfect for a night of adventure, mystery and rolling gutter balls!
2 1/2 cups fresh brewed coffee
1/2 cup cannabis-infused cream
1/2 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup vodka (optional)
In a medium saucepan, stir together the coffee, cannabis cream, Kahula and vodka over medium heat until thoroughly warmed. Divide among four mugs and stay mellow!
The easiest way to brew cannabis-infused lemonade is by mixing some into your favorite lemonade recipe. Just load up the dropper and squirt your desired amount directly into some homemade lemonade.
Try out this recipe for some quick, easy, and refreshing summertime lemonade!
You will need: 6-8 lemons (about 0.5L of lemon juice), 1.35L cold water, 200–250g of sugar, and 2-3 tsp. of cannabis tincture.
- Start by juicing the lemons. An electric juicer will help you to squeeze out every last drop of liquid gold!
- Mix lemon juice with sugar and water in a glass pitcher stirring well in order to ensure that all sugar is dissolved.
- Add your tincture while being mindful of dosage. Mix well.