Cannabis extracts are becoming ever more popular with the legalization of cannabis in many U.S states and the entire country of Canada. If dabbing or vaping these extracts are out of the question, how can you consume these extracts? Learn how to make edibles with shatter with our easy decarbing and infusion methods, both of which can be found below.
Follow along below as we provide helpful tips on how to make edibles with shatter. These methods also work with budder, crumble, hash, and rosin.
What is Shatter?
Shatter is an efficient method of storing concentrated cannabinoids. It is made by dissolving marijuana into a solvent, such as butane. This makes a more potent concentrate than hashish or buds. The resulting yellow substance is called honey oil.
To use shatter for vaping and edibles, you have to decarboxylate it, often referred to as decarbing. Here we will cover four methods to decarb shatter at home. We recommend that you wear protective gloves. We assume you have the shatter in a glass vial. Here’s the video of the processes, followed by a breakdown of instructions for each method. Proceed at your own risk.
This guide is based on a video at HowToWeed. Below is the video guide and keep reading on for the written instructions.
Method 1: Stovetop, decarb shatter in pan
Get a medium-sized saucepan or other cooking pot and out it on the stove. Add some cooking poil to about a half inch of depth. Heat it to 250° F. Place the vial of shatter in the pot. The shatter will melt and bubble. Wait for the bubbles to stop forming. You should have a clear golden liquid when done.
Method 2: Using your toaster oven to decarb
Place your shatter container in the toaster oven on a stable surface. Set the oven to bake at 250° F. It will melt and begin to make fizzy bubbles. Wait for the bubbles to stop forming. This means it’s done. This method takes about 50 minutes. However, don’t fret over our exact times, as yours may vary.
Method 3: Crock Pot, slow cooker shatter decarb
Take a counter-top crock pot and add cooking oil to it, to about a half-inch depth. Heat the crockpot to 250° F. Place the shatter vial in the middle of the pot and wait. The shatter will melt and bubble. Once again, we wait for the bubbling to stop to know the shatter’s done. This method takes 80 minutes by our estimate.
Method 4: Hot Plate, simple but most don’t have these at home
Heat the hotplate to 250° F. Place the vial of shatter on the hotplate directly. Place a larger beaker over the vial. The shatter will begin to melt and bubble. Stop the process momentarily and scrape the inside of the vial, making sure to push all solid matter together down into the bottom section of the vial. Restart the process and wait for bubbles to stop forming. Continue heating until pure liquid.
How to Decarboxylate (Decarb) Shatter for Edibles
Decarboxylation is the scientific process that takes place when cannabis is exposed to heat. In scientific terms, decarboxylation refers to a reaction of carboxylic acids that remove a carbon atom from a chain of atoms present within a plant such as cannabis.
When heat is applied to cannabis, it will remove a carboxyl group from the THCA cannabinoid (non-psychoactive) and creates the psychoactive Delta-9 THC. Decarboxylation also occurs when cannabis is smoked or vaporized.
How to Decarboxylate Shatter for Edibles
In order to decarboxylate your shatter (or budder/rosin/wax), you will need a few household kitchen items.
- Oven-prof Pyrex-style measuring jug or mason jar (no lid is needed)
- Oven tray
- Parchment paper
This method provides a foolproof method for decarbing shatter:
- Set the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 Celsius)
- Place the shatter into the ovenproof mason jar or pyrex measuring cup
- No lid is needed for this decarboxylation method
- Place the container with the shatter in it onto the oven tray and place into the oven once it has reached 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 Celsius)
- Set timer for 35 minutes
- After approximately 10 minutes, you will notice bubbles in the shatter
- After the 35-minute timer has gone off, the bubbles will have started to disappear
- Decarboxylate for an additional 15 minutes
- Let the shatter cool for at least 10 minutes before starting an infusion
Visual cue: The shatter will begin to bubble when it starts to decarboxylate. Decarboxylated shatter will no longer be bubbling.
How to Infuse Butter or Oil with Shatter – Crockpot Method
In order to make shatter infused oils or shatter butter, there are a few pieces of kitchen equipment that you will need. This equipment is easily found in a local store or online.
- Large glass bowl or large pyrex-style measuring jug
- Crockpot/slow cooker
- Hand Strainer
- A container such as a mason jar for the final product
Cooking with cannabis must be done safely, in any kitchen. A practice that many cannabis edible chefs follow is having separate pieces of equipment that are only used for cannabis infusions.
Making this shatter infused oil, or butter, is easy, as well as relatively mess-free with our method.
How to Make Oil/Butter with Shatter
- In a large glass bowl or measuring jug, add decarboxylated shatter and 1 cup of coconut oil or butter
- Fill the crockpot with enough water to reach the halfway point of your large glass bowl or measuring jug
- Place crockpot/slow cooker on medium-low heat and wait until the water has heated
- Now, place the bowl of decarbed shatter and coconut oil (or butter) into the water within the crockpot/slow cooker
- You can cover this infusion, although it is not necessary.
- Ensure the water does not get too low during the infusion process, some will evaporate
- Leave coconut oil and shatter infusing in the crockpot/slow cooker for 3-4 hours, stirring every hour or so
- Line a hand strainer with cheesecloth (3-4 pieces on top of one another) and strain the cannabis coconut oil back into its original container or a mason jar
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy responsibly
This easy crockpot method provides a simple, somewhat mess-free, solution for making infused shatter oil or butter at home. Watch along with this helpful video if you would like a visual aide.
Cannabis Cookies Made With Shatter
This recipe for cannabis cookies with shatter is broken into two steps, decarboxylating shatter, and baking your cookies.
Baking Shatter Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup canna-butter, cooled to room temp (The butter we just made in the steps above)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup of golden brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp of coco powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Decarboxylate shatter.
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the butter sugar and coco powder until smooth.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. If using kitchen aid switch to paddle attachment now.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and place onto un-greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet 2-5 minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Infused Coconut Oil with Shatter
In this step-by-step we will learn how to infuse coconut oil with cannabis concentrates. Any type of wax, shatter, budder or crumble will be effective in this formula. To figure out the potency of our formulation, the percentage of total THC in the wax needs to be accounted for. (This will include the total amount of both THC-A and THC in the concentrate) We will learn how decarboxylate, or activate the THC-A by removing the acid later in this guide. For example, if 1 gram of concentrate is 70% total THC, then there is approximately 700mg THC in the gram. (1 gram = 1000milligrams. 1000mg x 70% THC = 700mg THC) ½ gram of concentrate with 60% total THC would contain 300mg THC.
This coconut oil infusion can be used in place of coconut oil in a cooking recipe. Coconut oil is also a substitute for butter in baking recipes. The coconut oil made will be extremely versatile. We chose coconut oil in this procedure because coconut oil contains a large amount of saturated fat. Cannabinoids in cannabis bind well to this kind of fat, making the infusion more bioavailable and potent.
Concentrates work excellent in edibles because increasing the potency doesn’t sacrifice the flavor of the ingestibles. Whereas when making edibles with cannabis flower, the infusion can taste like marijuana, which may not be the desired flavor. When using wax, the taste is hardly noticeable in the edible because the cannabinoids added are highly concentrated. Both flower and concentrates are effective when making edibles. With that being said, the potency per gram is increased when making edibles with concentrates rather than flower.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 gram decarboxylated concentrate (budder,crumble, shatter etc.)
- coffee mug
- oven mitts
Now back to the cannabis coconut oil infusion!
Prepare by following these steps:
- Fill coffee mug with ½ cup of coconut oil.
- Heat up coconut oil in microwave for 1 minute (or until fully liquified). Wearing oven mitts, take mug of coconut oil out of the microwave.
- Add 1 gram of decarboxylated cannabis concentrate to the coconut oil. Stir thoroughly until evenly mixed.
- That’s it! Let the coconut oil infusion cool down. (Store in a refrigerator or freezer for longer shelf-life. The coconut oil is ready to be added into edibles immediately)
The coconut oil is now cannabis infused and ready to be incorporated into a cooking or baking recipe. Enjoy responsibly! Don’t forget that edibles can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to produce effects, due to being absorbed via the digestive system. Start with a small dose and observe the effects. Do not eat another serving until waiting at least 2 hours. Edibles are just one way of using cannabis. Smoking, vaporizing, tinctures and topical solutions are other administration methods of cannabis. The preferred method varies from person to person, and from situation to situation. The beauty of cannabis is in the eye of the beholder! (PS don’t forget step 5)
2 thoughts on “Cooking with shatter”
Thanks for the great tips! I made a batch today using half the amount of shatter so I wouldn’t have to make the brownies so small to get 5 mg doses. It seems to have turned out great – going slow, as instructed.
Do you think I could mix decarbed wax into simmering milk? I wanna make some smoothies, maybe you have a different suggestion.