When you hear the words cannabis and vodka together, you know you’re in for a good time. While the suggested effect sounds quite pleasant, it’s important to note that what you’ll actually experience from cannabis vodka may not be what you expect, especially if you buy it pre-made.
If you decide to make cannabis infused vodka, also known as green dragon, for yourself, you have more freedom to augment your experience however you like. All in all, infusing vodka with cannabis is just one more notch on the long list of ways to consume this incredible product. Learn more about cannabis vodka and discover everything it can offer you.
Being Drunk and High
Depending on who you ask, being drunk and high at the same time can either be a dream come true or an absolute disaster. Most people, however, have found that the feeling of being high overpowers the feeling of being drunk, so keep that in mind when you’re looking for cannabis infused vodka.
One of the primary reasons you may feel the high more than the alcohol is because alcohol enhances your high quite a bit. In fact, your THC levels can double based on how much alcohol you add to your system. Cannabis won’t make you more drunk, but alcohol can definitely make you more high.
Going for both at once has a few downsides that you need to be aware of before you try anything. Both cannabis and alcohol can make you seem slower even if you’re not, and both of them together can make you look downright sluggish. In addition, both of these products reduce your glutamate transmission, which can adversely affect your memory and learning.
Buying Pre-made Cannabis Vodka
Thanks to the growing legalization and acceptance of cannabis here in Canada, more breweries are starting to brew cannabis infused vodka.
The important thing to note here, however, is that cannabis vodka produced by breweries is not a great way to get high. They significantly tone down the effects of THC, so by the time you have consumed enough to feel high, you have blacked out from the alcohol content.
This is primarily because brewers use cannabis to enhance the taste of the vodka rather than enhance the effects. The natural taste of cannabis seeds is quite pleasant, and adding it to vodka that’s 40% alcohol makes it go down much easier.
Some marijuana vodka is specifically designed to have a high THC count, but that’s not the case most of the time. If you’re really trying to feel all the potential effects of this marijuana vodka, you should consider making it yourself.
Enter the Green Dragon
Making your own vodka infused with cannabis creates an entirely different experience. Homemade marijuana vodka is more commonly known as green dragon, and it offers incredible effects. Keep in mind, cannabis vodka effects are usually mild in terms of how how you feel, but that can change based on the way you make it.
Brewing green dragon is relatively easy. All you need is some cannabis of whatever strain you like and some alcohol that is at least 60 proof. For better results, you might want to go a bit higher than that.
Most people who make their own green dragon use alcohol like Everclear, which is a whopping 151 proof. To brew your own marijuana vodka, put the amount of marijuana you want to use in a jar. Then, add the Everclear. You generally want to fill it up enough so that your marijuana is entirely submerged. After you have the desired amount, start shaking it intensely for about a minute.
When you’re finished shaking, you’ll want to store your green dragon in a safe place that’s dark and not too hot. Then, you’ll need to shake it for a full minute fairly vigorously every day for about a month. The exact length of time required can vary, but it’s generally a good idea to allow a full month for the cannabis and vodka to mix with each other.
At the end of the month, the contents of your jar should look dark purple with a bit of brownish color. At this point, you just need to strain the cannabis remnants out of the mixture until all that’s left is liquid. Then, you have your green dragon.
This method is about soaking cannabis strain in vodka before we give the final touch to the infused-drink. The process will take two hours, and you’re good to have a herby finale at your home.
- 250 to 300 ml of vodka
- 1 to 3 grams of cannabis strain
- Cheesecloth or jelly bag for straining
- Thermocouple or thermometer
- Keep your double boiler at the lowest possible temperature while you arrange all the necessary ingredients and materials. *We recommend using double boilers because they distribute heat very evenly across the recipe. It results in consistent texture across the project.*
- Grind/chop off your cannabis into medium-sized particles. Maintain the size-consistency and wrap it around a jelly bag or cheesecloth. *You can use dry or fresh marijuana strain for the recipe. Using a dry bud would produce a more substantial psychoactive effect. Don’t forget to decarboxylate the strain before grinding. Heat your strain to make it kicky. If you need a strong flavour and smell profile, stick with the fresher one.*
- Add your vodka in the boiler and place the cannabis cheese cotton bag into it for 2 to 3 hours. Try to maintain the temperature at 60-degree celsius. You can regulate temperature using the thermometer. *For a denser effect, you’d want a cannabis bag steeping for another hour in vodka. But you’ll have to trade-off a bit of vodka by burning it off (as it’s extremely volatile)*
- Pull out the cannabis bag from your vodka solution. You can use the strain as a natural fertilizer for your cannabis farm. Pour the drink in a glass jar. Let it cool down before tightening the lid. Finally, store it in a dark, murky, cool place. *Before serving the aqua vitae— you’d like to strain the cannabis impurities using a coffee filter.*
This recipe deals with customizing vodka at your own accord. We will make a palatable honey-flavoured vodka by adding one of buzzing cannabis-infused product, i.e., honey. You can either buy a readymade cannabis-infused honey or DIY at home by blending coconut oil with honey, cannabinoids, and terpenes. Broad-spectrum CBD honey makes an excellent choice for non-toxic sweeteners.
- Decarboxylated cannabis buds (preheated buds at 300 degrees F)
- Coconut oil, One-fourth of the cup
- 500ml vodka (any spirit)
- 150g honey << Learn how to make CBD honey
- Simmering water
- One mason jar
- Water bath
- We’ll start by making weed-infused honey. Take decarboxylated cannabis strain and grind it into small or medium size granules. Make sure that you are maintaining the size of these granules. *We divide weed into small granules so that they are easy to soak.*
- Wrap it up in a cheesecloth and place it into a mason jar full of coconut oil. *You can avoid cheesecloth and add them directly in the oil.*
- Tighten the lid of the mason jar and put it in the water bath. Apply a low-nominal heat for at least two hours. The process will disperse the cannabis into the oil. *Stir the mixture in between to make sure cannabis consistency across the oil project.*
- Once you have cannabis oil ready, strain the mixture with a coffee filter or cheesecloth to funnel out the particles of cannabis buds. *Don’t forget to squeeze off the cheesecloth at last. We won’t give a drop to waste bins or fertilizers.*
- Add cannabis-infused oil into the bowl of honey and whisk it properly. *Please follow the instructions properly. Everything should be increased or decreased in proportions.*
- Blend vodka with cannabis-infused honey until you have attained the evenness. *The flavour of terps and honey add a delightful newness to vodka.*
- Use classic martini or highball glasses to make your vodka date a romantic-clinky occasion. *Cool it off before storing it in a dark place in an air-tight jar.*
The Effects of Cannabis Vodka
Before we dive into the effects of marijuana and alcohol, it needs to be stated that everyone responds differently to both substances. There is no overall absolute set of reactions that everyone can expect to have. That being said, science has identified some overall trends that you should know about in advance.
The feeling you get when you combine being drunk with being high is known as the crossfade, and it’s a feeling many people chase. While you do feel the effects of both at times, you’re going to feel significantly more high than drunk. When you smoke THC, it changes the way your body absorbs alcohol. This effect is so significant that your blood alcohol content will actually be lower than it would be if you just drank alcohol without smoking too.
Things work a bit differently if you decide to drink first. Once you have a nice buzz going on, your body is going to be much more sensitive to marijuana. Alcohol makes your blood vessels more receptive, so marijuana is going to hit you harder. Just make sure you don’t overdo it. If you drink too much, you’ll just feel nauseous and overwhelmed.